Thursday, March 26, 2015

Pain and Suffering

"Bad things do happen; how I respond to them defines my character and the quality of my life.... I can choice to rise from the pain and treasure the most precious gift I have- life itself."  Walter Anderson, author

As I continue on the journey through cancer, I recognize daily what I want in life is pleasure and joy, and what I want to avoid is pain and suffering.  Unfortunately, that is not always possible because cancer has a mind of it's own.
Without even thinking about it, I plunge ahead each day, doing the things I hope and believe will bring me pleasure, make me happy and work to avoid suffering and pain.
I have found out from speaking with others facing the challenges of cancer, that each of us have a different idea about what brings us happiness or what brings us pain, Some have told me exercise helps, others feel it is in your diet, still others feel it is all in your attitude or religious beliefs.  Nonetheless, underlying all these activities is the same desire to seek pleasure and avoid pain.
What my doctors have told me is that regardless of the type of cancer or the stage at the time of diagnosis, the degree of mental, emotional, and spiritual pain is often the same.  With this comes confusion, feeling overwhelmed and deeply afraid.  I have been told this normal and it too will pass.
I want you to know that their are support groups that can help with this uncertainty.
I found that help from my local cancer center and wish the same for others dealing with cancer.

No comments: