Friday, March 27, 2015

A Tiny Step

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."  Confucius

As the weather is beginning to change, it is almost 45 degrees here in eastern New England, I decided it was time to stop hibernating and begin moving.  In one of my earlier blogs I mentioned that I used to walk several miles a day, but with the cancer in my bones it was hard enough to put one foot in from of the other.
Today I brought myself a pedometer to measure the amount of step I take a day.  It is recommended that the average adult should take between 9000-10,000 steps a day. With this in mind I decided to try to keep my stepping action somewhere in the middle.  Now this may sound like an easy task until I started.
One mile covers about 2000 steps.  This means that the health community expects an average adult to walk 4.5-5 miles a day, to maintain good health. Having gotten out of bed at 8:00 am, by noon time I had just about taken 900 steps.  I have a long way to go.  I plan on recording on my blog every day how many steps I can achieve in a day. I feel this will keep my accountable and hopefully motivated.  As Confucius's said, " It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop!"

No comments: