Monday, June 1, 2015

Injuries

"Write your injuries in dust, your benefits in marble."    Benjamin Franklin

"The more injuries you get, the smarter you get."    Mikhail Bryshnikov

When I heard about the broken femur that John Kerry, Sec. of the State, had sustained in a bike riding event this weekend, I immediately remembered two years ago having the same injury while I was weeding my flower garden.
My fall that had caused the injury was a result of the stage four breast cancer that I had just learned I had.  Unfortunately the cancer had spread to my bones and I had a tumor on my femur bone that had eaten away a large percentage of the bone.  At the time I had received chemo and radiation for the tumor but was unaware of the extent of the damage to the bone.  When I fell it was just hard enough to shatter the bone.  Luckily a neighbor heard me yell and dialed 911 immediately.  I was airlifted to the nearest hospital for emergency surgery.
When I heard about Sec. of State Kerry's injuries my heart went out to him because I remember the hard six months of pain and suffering to rehab my leg until I was able to stand and put a little weight on it.  It was a long road of patience and endurance to recover.
I still have the cancer but the bone was removed and replaced with a rod, bolts and plates.  Today I still walk with a slight limp but it would have been worse if the cancer had continued to grow and could have caused me to lose my leg all together. This chapter in my life may have been difficult but what I am ever so grateful for is the silver lining in the cloud! Best Wishes for a speedy recovery to John Kerry

No comments: