Friday, June 5, 2015

Fear

"If you live in fear of the future because of what happened in your past, you'll end up losing what you have in the present."    Unknown

I like most people let fear roam my mind at will.  In India there is a metaphor comparing fear in the mind to a wild elephant, and calming the fear is said to be like tying the elephant to a stake. I have found that meditating helps me to calm my mind to accept fear and transcend it to a higher awareness that is beyond the impulsive tendency of the mind.
I first sit in a calm, quite area where there are few outside stimulus. I start by thinking of a quite thought like the waves of the ocean, some people find music to be helpful.  I prefer just the quite sound of stillness.  I remind myself to give up the noise in my head and focus on the channel of peace that I want to obtain.  Slowly tell you mind that all is well in the world and that there is nothing to fear, I am safe. Continue this mantra for several minutes while you concentrate on your breathing.  For me ten minutes of this stillness where I escape the madness of the world, allows me to give up control.
I start everyday by mediating and I have found that I have less panic or fear attacks. There are many books and tapes which are available to help you start and maintain a meditation routine.  I strongly recommend these methods to help you get started.

No comments: