Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Compassion

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries.  Without them humanity cannot survive.    Dalai Lama

At my cancer support group this week there was a general discussion about how compassion helps improve positive emotions that help minimize chronic pain from cancer and other long term illnesses.
Compassion has been shown to open our minds and hearts.  According to science studies by researcher Emma Speppla, compassion makes us happier, healthier and even more attractive.  She further offers that goodwill, kindness and warmth towards others are very basic emotions to us. A simple smile or a simple hello to a stranger can improve your attitude and can promotes positive emotions.
The consensus of the discussion was that compassion when in the presence of love is a naturally occurring event.  Compassion can be compromised, however, when evil is also present.  Most people tend to show less compassion for others when they let evil prevail over love. For the average individual, most humans overlook the good in people when that person has been involved in what they perceive as an evil act.
After thinking about this, I have decided that I am also guilty of this lack of compassion for others before I known the whole story.  I am going to work on acting out of love and compassion.  I hope others that read this will do the same.  The world can be a better place because of this act of compassion. I feel for me it will also aid in the healing process that my body is going through with cancer.

No comments: