Sunday, May 31, 2015

Dry Mouth

"Some chemo and cancer medications can damage your saliva glands."
Julie Lanford, RD, Wellness director for Cancer Services Inc.

 From the time I had my first chemo treatment to present hormone treatment and pain medicines, I have experienced moderate to severe Dry Mouth. Symptoms of Dry Mouth are linked to a reduction in salvia flow, which is a directly cause by taking more prescription medicines.
My doctor has advised me of the following tips to deal with Dry Mouth:
1. Sip water often to help keep your mouth moist. But avoid sugary, acidic, or caffeinated drinks.
2. Drink water or milk with meals help with chewing and swallowing.
3. Try sleeping in a room with a humidifer to ease dry mouth symptoms.
4. Rinse your mouth before bedtime. Try this mouth rinse. Mix until dissollved; 1 tsp baking soda and 3/4 tsp salt in 1 qt. water.  Swish and spit. Another rinse at bedtime is to swish some olive oil and then spit.  This will coat your mouth so it doesn't dry out.
All of these tips are meant reduce or help ease the symptoms of Dry Mouth.
If you or anyone use know is suffering with Dry Mouth, I hope these tips are helpful.

No comments: