Friday, January 30, 2015

Listening

 "When people talk, listen completely.  Most people never listen."
Ernest Hemingway

I try to truly listen to anyone who comes to me with their problems or concerns. Currently,  I attribute this the fact that when I get anxious about my cancer, I want others to just listen.  I  don't want advice, I just want to be heard.
I feel that in this busy world, truly listening is one of the best ways to let someone know I care about them. It is also shows others how important they are to me.
It really is a challenge to mindfully listen to another person, even though it seems like a simple, effortless task.
When I listen to others, I try to step away from all internal and external distractions, and concentrate on the other person's voice.  Unfortunately, in the era of texting and e-mails, where you can scroll down to relevant information, listening requires your attention to get to the main point.
The next time someone you care about speaks, I challenge all of you to not only hear the words, but also process their meaning.  Don't be afraid of the silences, those pauses give both of you a chance to organize your thoughts and feelings into a caring response.                    

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Liz you are wonderful thank you