Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Physical Activities

"Take care of your body.  It's the only place you have to live."   John Rohn

Prior to my breast cancer diagnosis I was very physically active.  I would walk a minimum of one and a half miles a day and attend several physical training classes a few times a week.  Since my diagnosis I have trouble walking around the grocery store or just doing general housekeeping chores.  Part of this is a result of my breast cancer metastasizing into my bones. Two and a half years ago the cancer ate through my femur bone in my right upper leg.  I was rushed into surgery and had my femur bone removed.  They replaced the bone with a metal rod and a lot of nuts and bolts. The result of this injury left my right leg two inches shorter than my left leg.
After months and months of rehabilitation and having a lift placed in my shoe (no more open back shoes), I have been able to walk short distances.
Currently, I am attempting to try to return to more physical activities. My biggest obstacle is I am still uncoordinated in my movements coupled with my clumsiness, makes for an uphill battle.
While I was in the hospital receiving physical therapy, my therapist suggested a program called "Livestrong".  The program is free and designed to allow low impact excerize, with individual programs for each client.  It is a wonderful program and and I would recommend it to any cancer patient. If you want more information on the program, contact your local YMCA to determine availablity in your area.
This program has taught me to believe that general physical wellness, can be obtained , no matter what state you are in phsically. The low impact classes that I take at the YMCA also improved my emotional and spiritual wellness. (Please refer to your physician before starting any exercize program.)
In closing, here's to better health, hope and courage to finding your new "normal" in physical activites.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

love this blog today