Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Tribute to Life

"Cancer is a word, not a sentence."

Yesterday I learned of the death of an acquaintance who died of ovarian cancer.  She has been fighting the cancer for a little longer than me, 4 years.  I had heard that she was dong well last summer but that the cancer had recurred this past winter.  My first response when I heard of her passing was sadness and guilty, that I was doing good and that she didn't make it.
The death of this friend forced me to focus, to prioritize and learn what's important. I reassured myself that "Only by the grace of god go I". I pray for her family and hope they find peace in that she was a kind and loving person who was a good mother, daughter, wife and friend.
When I learn of the death of others I know from cancer, I remind myself that this event should make me stronger and make me want to fight harder against cancer. I realize that my mortality is at an optimal distance and I work at not letting it get so up close that it blurs everything else. As I have shared in other blogs, for me, gratitude is my best defense.

No comments: